General guidance if there is an in dadabase solution or should stay as excel vba solution.

От Henry Drexler
Тема General guidance if there is an in dadabase solution or should stay as excel vba solution.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have no problem doing this in excel vba, though as the list grows larger obviously excel has row limits.

What is being done:
There is a column of data imported into the db - they are just text strings, there are about 80,000 rows of them.  The goal is to do a single character elimination to find matches.

so for instance the data is a bunch of rows of this:

hello there
what is your name
happy birthday
we are winner
we are winners
we like the sky
task to do
tasks to do

so for the above in excel I created a macro that will remove one character and compare and do this for each character of each text string.

The final product:

hello there
what is your name
happy birthday
we are winner we are winners
we are winners we are winner
we like the sky
task to do         tasks to do
tasks to do task to do

so you can see that it found the matches with being one character off.

Is this something best done outside of the db and in excel as I am doing or is it possible to do it in db?

Note I am not looking for someone to give a whole solution - just if they know it can be done let me know the direction so I can research it and figure it out.

Any advice is welcome.