Re: 2024-05-09 release announcement draft

От David Rowley
Тема Re: 2024-05-09 release announcement draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 7 May 2024 at 05:44, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Please provide feedback no later (and preferably sooner) than 2024-05-09
> 12:00 UTC.

Thanks for the draft.  Here's some feedback.

> * Fix [`INSERT`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-insert.html) from
> multiple [`VALUES`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-values.html)
> rows into a target column that is a domain over an array or composite type.
> including requiring the [SELECT privilege](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-grant.html)
> on the target table when using [`MERGE`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-merge.html)
> when using `MERGE ... DO NOTHING`.

Something looks wrong with the above. Are two separate items merged
into one?  52898c63e and a3f5d2056?

> * Fix confusion for SQL-language procedures that returns a single composite-type
> column.

Should "returns" be singular here?

> * Throw an error if an index is accessed while it is being reindexed.

 I know you want to keep these short and I understand the above is the
same wording from release notes, but these words sound like a terrible
oversite that we allow any concurrent query to still use the table
while a reindex is in progress.  Maybe we should give more detail
there so people don't think we made such a silly mistake. The release
note version I think does have enough words to allow the reader to
understand that the mistake is more complex. Maybe we could add
something here to make it sound like less of an embarrassing mistake?

David