Re: Regress tests to improve the function coverage of schemacmds and user and tablespace files

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Regress tests to improve the function coverage of schemacmds and user and tablespace files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just had a look at both of these patches. All tests that
> have been added seem to cover new areas that are not previously
> tested, they also seem to cleanup properly after themselves, so I
> think these should be a worthwhile addition to the regression
> tests.

Thanks for reviewing!  Did you happen to note the impact on `make
check` runtime?  There are many people who run that many times per
day while working on development, so we try to keep new tests that
significantly extend that separate.  We haven't quite worked out
the best way to exercise such longer-running tests, but I suspect
we soon will.  At any rate, this is a piece of information the
committer will want, so you will be helping whoever that is if you
can supply it.

I've done a quick benchmark on this this morning.
Note that I'm using windows here and I used powershell to time the regression run with the following command:

PS D:\Postgres\b\src\tools\msvc> Measure-Command { .\vcregress.bat check }

I ran the tests 10 times each.
I ran the patched version first, then just did git reset --hard to revert the patched changes then I ran the tests again.

The average and median results over the 10 runs are as follows:

Patched Unpatched Time increased by
Average 48.23265888 47.70979854 101.10%
Median 47.8993686 47.51177815 100.82%

The slowdown is not too bad. It just around 1% increase of time.

I've attached the results in spreadsheet format.

Regards

David Rowley

--
Kevin Grittner