Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Дата
Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 at 03:45, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> Thanks, Justin, for the review.
> I have applied the changes where still applicable.
>
> On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 10:52 +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> > Lack of a scale_factor does leave people who regularly truncate their
> > "append-only" tables out in the cold a bit.  Perhaps they'd like
> > index-only scans to kick in soon after they truncate without having to
> > wait for 10 million tuples, or so.
>
> That point I don't see.
> Truncating a table resets the counters to 0.

The scenario there is that if we don't have any
autovacuum_vacuum_insert_scale_factor and we set the threshold to 10
million tuples.  The user truncates the table on a monthly basis and
nearer to the end of the month the tuples accumulates around 100
million tuples, roughly 3.2 million are inserted per day, so
auto-vacuum kicks in for this table around once every 3 days.  At the
start of the month, the table is truncated and it begins refilling.
The n_ins_since_vacuum is reset to 0 during the truncate. Meanwhile,
the table is being queried constantly and it takes 3 days for us to
vacuum the table again. Queries hitting the table are unable to use
Index Only Scans for 3 days.  The DBAs don't have a lot of control
over this.

I think we can help users with that by giving them a bit more control
over when auto-vacuum will run for the table. scale_factor and
threshold.

> Updated patch attached.

Great. I'll have a look.