Re: sort performance better with little memory than big memory

От David Rowley
Тема Re: sort performance better with little memory than big memory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 at 00:14, yang zhao <azurezhao8369@gmail.com> wrote:
> So,can we try to split memory to pieces and qsort every one,and merge than all in memory,I have tried this in my
localcode, and got about 12% improvement when memory is enough.

We're not very good at CPU cache awareness.  The hard part here would
be to figure out how large to make those pieces. Maybe the value could
be a GUC which can be tuned similar to work_mem. One problem with that
might be that L3 is shared with other processes and it does not seem
unreasonable that smaller-than-L3 sizes will be better when the system
is busy.  However, it also seems possible that sorting in L3-sized
chunks might still be faster even when the system is busy with many
other tasks.

The best thing to do here is to post your proposal along with a patch
and the performance tests you've done to the pgsql-hackers mailing
list.  This way people can test this for themselves and see if they
get similar results. Patches such as this one need to be tested on
lots of different hardware. pgsql-hackers is the place for discussions
about that. It's full of people that might be willing to patch with
your patch and test if the performance is also improved on their
hardware.

David

От: Brad White
Сообщение: Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour
От: Karsten Hilbert
Сообщение: Aw: Re: Stored procedure code no longer stored in v14 and v15, changed behaviour