Re: ERROR: insufficient columns in the PRIMARY KEY constraint definition

От David Rowley
Тема Re: ERROR: insufficient columns in the PRIMARY KEY constraint definition
Дата
Re: ERROR: insufficient columns in the PRIMARY KEY constraint definition  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 12:08, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 11:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > > "Unique constraints (and[, by extension,] primary key constraints) on
> > > partitioned tables must include all the partition key columns. This
> > > limitation exists because PostgreSQL can only enforce uniqueness in each
> > > partition individually.".
> >
> > I don't object to clarifying that (and that wording seems fine), but I
> > think fixing the error message is more important.  We'd not be having this
> > discussion if the OP had found that documentation.
>
> I do agree the error message is the first thing we should be changing.
>
> I'll write a doc patch if you handle the error message.

I didn't go with the same wording.  The reason was that I didn't feel
the word "constraint" had to be mentioned twice.

I won't object if you or Alvaro want to keep Alvaro's suggestion though.

David

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: ERROR: insufficient columns in the PRIMARY KEY constraint definition
Сообщение: Re: ERROR: insufficient columns in the PRIMARY KEY constraint definition