Re: Helping planner to chose sequential scan when it improves performance

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Helping planner to chose sequential scan when it improves performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 at 07:28, Patrick O'Toole <patrick.otoole@sturdy.ai> wrote:
> Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree with the previous questions. Are there other configuration parameters we
shouldconsider first to improve performance in situations like the one illustrated?

random_page_cost and effective_cache_size are the main settings which
will influence plan A vs plan B.  Larger values of
effective_cache_size will have the planner apply more seq_page_costs
to the index scan.  Lower values of effective_cache_size will mean
more pages will be assumed to cost random_page_cost.

David