Re: BUG #15548: Unaccent does not remove combining diacritical characters

От Hugh Ranalli
Тема Re: BUG #15548: Unaccent does not remove combining diacritical characters
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 08:54, Ramanarayana <raam.soft@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Michael,
The issue was that the python script was working in python 2 but not in python 3 in Windows. This is because the python script writes the final output to stdout and stdout encoding is set to utf-8 only for python 2 but not python 3.If no encoding is set for stdout it takes the encoding from the Operating system.Default encoding in linux and windows might be different.Hence this issue.
Regards,
Ram.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 09:48, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 02:27:31AM +0530, Ramanarayana wrote:
> I tested the script in python 2.7 and it works perfect. The problem is in
> python 3.7(and may be only in windows as you were not getting the issue)
> and I was getting the following error
>
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character '\u0100' in
> position 0: character maps to <undefined>
>
>  I went through the python script and found that the stdout encoding is set
> to utf-8 only  if python version is <=2.
>
> I have made the same change for python version 3 as well. Please find the
> patch for the same.Let me know if it makes sense

Isn't that because Windows encoding becomes cp1252, utf16 or such?
FWIW, on Debian SID with Python 3.7, I get the correct output, and no
diffs on HEAD.  Perhaps it would make sense to use open() on the
different files with encoding='utf-8' to avoid any kind of problems?
--
Michael

I can't look at this today, but will fire up Windows and Python tomorrow, look at Ram's patch, and see what is going on. I'll also look at how we open the input files, to see if we should supply an encoding. It makes sense those input files will only make sense in UTF-8 anyway.

Ram, thanks for catching this issue.,

Hugh