Re: Roles with empty password (probably bug in libpq and in psql as well).

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: Roles with empty password (probably bug in libpq and in psql as well).
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hey Guillaume,

2012/7/24 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 16:41 +0400, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> According to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-alterrole.html
>
> A query:
> ALTER ROLE davide WITH PASSWORD NULL;
> removes a role's password.
>
> But it's impossible to pass empty (NULL) password to the backend
> by using libpq, because connectOptions2() defined the fe-connect.c
> reads a password from the ~/.pgpass even when a password
> specified as an empty string literal ("").
>
> Also, when connecting to the server via psql(1) by using a role
> with removed password psql exists with status 2 and prints the error
> message:
> psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Yes, and? I don't see how this could be a bug. If your authentication
method asks for a password, you need to have one.
Yes, I need. I just want to have empty password ("").
If you have resetted
it, well, you shouldn't have. Or you really want that your users could
connect without a password, and then you need to change your
authentication method with trust. But no-one will encourage you to do
that.
Why I need to change an auth. method? If I've used a \password command
in psql(1) and specified an empty password for my role I need to ask
a database admin to change an auth. method? :-) Cool!
Please note, psql(1) allow to do it as well as SQL - too.

--
// Dmitriy.

Сообщение: Re: Roles with empty password (probably bug in libpq and in psql as well).
Сообщение: Re: Roles with empty password (probably bug in libpq and in psql as well).