Re: Bug or feature? (The constraint of the domain of extension can be dropped...)

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: Bug or feature? (The constraint of the domain of extension can be dropped...)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

2013/4/5 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> writes:
> According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/extend-extensions.html
> "PostgreSQL will not let you drop an individual object contained in an
> extension, except by dropping the whole extension."
> But this rule does not apply to domain constraints, i.e. it is not possible
> to drop domain of some extenstion but it is possible to drop any or all of
> its constraints. (And in fact drop it.)
> I am consider this is a bug. Don't you?

No.  The domain is a member of the extension, its properties are not.
We do not generally forbid ALTER on extension members.  During
development for instance a quick ALTER can be a whole lot more
convenient than dropping and reloading the whole extension.
Debatable, because in practice during development it's often better to recreate
the whole database which takes seconds. (The database with hundreds of
functions, views, domains, triggers etc.)
In fact, we store all except CREATE TABLE ... in files. In particular,
storing functions in file(s) are much much much more convenient
for big refactoings (which are often during development) rather than using
annoying \ef in psql(1) which just a time killer.

Whether it's a good idea to ALTER extension member objects in production
is a different question.  Typically you'd install them as owned by
somebody with sense enough not to do that.
Indeed. To *me*, you solution looks like workaround. But of course,
this is debatable.

Well, thank you for explanation!

--
// Dmitriy.