Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?

От Dmitry Igrishin
Тема Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?
Список pgsql-general

пн, 16 июл. 2018 г. в 1:14, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>:

Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> writes:

> вс, 15 июл. 2018 г. в 22:42, Chuck Davis <cjgunzel@gmail.com>:
>
>> If you decide to proceed on this project there's no need to reinvent the
>> wheel.
>>
>> I use Netbeans for my development.  it has quite a good facility for
>> working with databases and I use it regularly with Postgres.  Since
>> Netbeans is now licensed under Apache 2 you might find useful code
>> there.  Be assured it uses JDBC for access but JDBC is universally
>> available and the folks at Postgresql have done quite a nice job with
>> JDBC drivers.  Of course, this already works on all platforms.  The
>> implementation is basic but very useful:  i.e. a good starting point.
>>
> Thank you for the point. I'm the C++ programmer and I'm author of the
> C++ client library for PostgreSQL - Pgfe and I'm going to use it in this
> project. But I'm not sure about the cross-platform GUI toolkit.

The cross-platform GUI toolkit will be the challenge.
This is why I've consider GUI for the Windows only. And if I'll not find an adequate GUI
toolkit (at reasonable price and/or license), there is an option to make the GUI available
on Windows only and provide the Linux version without a GUI (at least at the first time).

Your idea to make it integrate with user's preferred editor is a good
idea as editors are like opinions and certain anatomical parts -
everyone has one! Finding an appropriate API to do this will be a
challenge.
I see two options here: the core of the tool acts as a long-lived server or as a short-lived
console application which communicates with the editor's plugin via stdin/stdout.
Btw, what the text editor do you prefer? :-)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Oracle was going to remove
swing from the core java library. I've always been a little disappointed
with Java UIs and found they don't give the cross-platform support that
Java originally promised, plus OSX/macOS has not made Java as welcome as
it use to be. If you do choose Java, it will need to work under openJDK
as this is what most Linux users will have installed.
For now, the possible options for the GUI part are Qt, wxWidgets or FLTK, or even Electron.

Сообщение: Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?
Сообщение: Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) forPostgreSQL?