Frontend/backend protocol improvements proposal (request).

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Frontend/backend protocol improvements proposal (request).
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

While developing a C++ client library for Postgres I felt lack of extra
information in command tags in the CommandComplete (B) message
for the following commands:
  PREPARE;
  DEALLOCATE;
  DECLARE;
  CLOSE;
  LISTEN;
  UNLISTEN;
  SET;
  RESET.
Namely, for example, users of my library can prepare statements by using
protocol directly or via PREPARE command. Since the protocol does not
supports prepared statement deallocation, I wrote a wrapper over DEALLOCATE
command. The library knows about all prepared statements and
invalidates them automatically when user performs deallocate() wrapper.
But users can go with DEALLOCATE command directly and in these cases
I need to query the database to get the list of currently prepared statements
whenever CommandComplete message with DEALLOCATE command tag
is consumed. Moreover, I need to do it *synchronously* and this breaks
asynchronous API.
I propose to include name of the object in the CommandComplete (B)
message for the above commands.

--
// Dmitriy.