Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections

От David Johansen
Тема Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections
Дата
Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-bugs
We're running into an issue where the database can't be connected to. It appears that the auto-vacuum is timing out and then that prevents new connections from happening. This assumption is based on these logs showing up in the logs:
WARNING:  worker took too long to start; canceled
The log appears about every 5 minutes and eventually nothing can connect to it and it has to be rebooted.

These are the most similarly related previous posts, but the CPU usage isn't high when this happens, so I don't believe that's the problem

What can we do to diagnose this problem and get our database working reliably again?

Thanks,
Dave