Performance die when COPYing to table with bigint PK

От Robert Ayrapetyan
Тема Performance die when COPYing to table with bigint PK
Дата
Re: Performance die when COPYing to table with bigint PK  (Vitalii Tymchyshyn <tivv00@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hello.

I've found strange behavior of my pg installation (tested both 8.4 and
9.0 - they behave same) on FreeBSD platform.
In short - when some table have PK on bigint field - COPY to that
table from file becomes slower and slower as table grows. When table
reaches ~5GB - COPY of 100k records may take up to 20 mins. I've
experimented with all params in configs, moved indexes to separate hdd
etc - nothing made any improvement. However, once I'm dropping 64 bit
PK - COPY of 100k records passes in seconds. Interesting thing - same
table has other indexes, including composite ones, but none of them
include bigint fields, that's why I reached decision that bug
connected with indexes on bigint fields only.

In terms of IO picture is following: after copy started gstat shows
100% load on index partition (as I mentioned above - I've tried
separate hdd to keep index tablespace), large queue (over 2k
elements), and constant slow write on speed of ~2MB\s. Hdd becomes
completely unresponsive, even ls on empty folder hangs for minute or
so.

To avoid thoughts like "your hdd is slow, you haven't tuned
postgresql.conf etc" - all slowness dissapears with drop of bigint PK,
same time other indexes on same table remain alive. And yes - I've
tried drop PK \ recreate PK, vacuum full analyze and all other things
- nothing helped, only drop helps.

Is this known and expected behavior?

--
Ayrapetyan Robert,
Comodo Anti-Malware Data Processing Analysis and Management System (CAMDPAMS)