Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

От James Coleman
Тема Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 11:37 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 09:58:53PM -0400, James Coleman wrote:

> > > I'm not sure myself - but I'm doubtful that using a 0 min age by default
> > > will be ok.
> > >
> > > I was trying to say (in a later email) that I think it might be a good
> > > compromise to opportunistically freeze if we're dirtying the page
> > > anyway, but not optimize WAL emission etc. That's a pretty simple
> > > change, and it'd address a lot of the potential performance regressions,
> > > while still freezing for the "first" vacuum in insert only workloads.
> >
> > If we have truly insert-only tables, then doesn't vacuuming with
> > freezing every tuple actually decrease total vacuum cost (perhaps
> > significantly) since otherwise every vacuum keeps having to scan the
> > heap for dead tuples on pages where we know there are none? Those
> > pages could conceptually be frozen and ignored, but are not frozen
> > because of the default behavior, correct?
>
> The essential part of this patch is to trigger vacuum *at all* on an
> insert-only table.  Before today's updated patch, it also used FREEZE on any
> table which hit the new insert threshold.  The concern I raised is for
> insert-MOSTLY tables.  I thought it might be an issue if repeatedly freezing
> updated tuples caused vacuum to be too slow, especially if they're distributed
> in pages all across the table rather than clustered.

Yeah, for some reason I'd completely forgotten (caught up in thinking
about the best possible outcome re: freezing insert only tables) that
the bigger problem was just triggering vacuum at all on those tables.

> And I asked that the behavior (FREEZE) be configurable by a separate setting
> than the one that triggers autovacuum to run.  FREEZE is already controlled by
> the vacuum_freeze_table_age param.
>
> I think you're right that VACUUM FREEZE on an insert-only table would be less
> expensive than vacuum once without freeze and vacuum again later, which uses
> freeze.  To me, that suggests setting vacuum_freeze_table_age to a low value on
> those tables.
>
> Regular vacuum avoids scanning all-visible pages, so for an insert-only table
> pages should only be vacuumed once (if frozen the 1st time) or twice (if not).
>
>          * Except when aggressive is set, we want to skip pages that are
>          * all-visible according to the visibility map, but only when we can skip
>
> postgres=# CREATE TABLE t (i int) ; INSERT INTO t SELECT generate_series(1,999999); VACUUM VERBOSE t; VACUUM VERBOSE
t;
> INFO:  "t": found 0 removable, 999999 nonremovable row versions in 4425 out of 4425 pages
> VACUUM
> Time: 106.038 ms
> INFO:  "t": found 0 removable, 175 nonremovable row versions in 1 out of 4425 pages
> VACUUM
> Time: 1.828 ms
>
> => That's its not very clear way of saying that it only scanned 1 page the 2nd
> time around.

I didn't realize that about the visibility map being taken into account.

> > We have tables that log each change to a business object (as I suspect
> > many transactional workloads do), and I've often thought that
> > immediately freeze every page as soon as it fills up would be a real
> > win for us.
> >
> > If that's all true, it seems to me that removing that part of the
> > patch significantly lowers its value.
>
> > If we opportunistically freeze only if we're already dirtying a page,
> > would that help a truly insert-only workload? E.g., are there hint
> > bits on the page that would need to change the first time we vacuum a
> > full page with no dead tuples? I would have assumed the answer was
> > "no" (since if so I think it would follow that _all_ pages need
> > updated the first time they're vacuumed?).
>
> You probably know that hint bits are written by the first process to access the
> tuple after it was written.  I think you're asking if the first *vacuum*
> requires additional writes beyond that.  And I think vacuum wouldn't touch the
> page until it decides to freeze tuples.

I think my assumption is that (at least in our case), the first
process to access will definitely not be vacuum on any regular basis.

> I do have a patch to display the number of hint bits written and pages frozen.
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20200126141328.GP13621%40telsasoft.com

I'll take a look at that too.

> > But if that's the case, then this kind of opportunistic freezing wouldn't
> > help this kind of workload. Maybe there's something I'm misunderstanding
> > about how vacuum works though.
>
> I am reminding myself about vacuum with increasing frequency and usually still
> learn something new.

For sure.

Thanks,
James