Re: Question about behavior of deletes with REPLICA IDENTITY NOTHING

От James Coleman
Тема Re: Question about behavior of deletes with REPLICA IDENTITY NOTHING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 11:27 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> On Thu, 2024-02-08 at 13:40 +1100, Peter Smith wrote:
> > -   how to set the replica identity.  If a table without a replica identity is
> > +   how to set the replica identity.  If a table without a replica identity
> > +   (or with replica identity behavior the same as <literal>NOTHING</literal>) is
> >     added to a publication that replicates <command>UPDATE</command>
> >     or <command>DELETE</command> operations then
>
> I had the impression that the root of the confusion was the perceived difference
> between "REPLICA IDENTITY NOTHING" and "no replica identity", and that change
> doesn't improve that.
>
> How about:
>
>   If a table without a replica identity (explicitly set to <literal>NOTHING</literal>,
>   or set to a primary key or index that doesn't exist) is added ...

I think that would work also. I was reading the initial suggestion as
"(or with replica identity behavior the same as..." as defining what
"without a replica identity" meant, which would avoid the confusion.
But your proposal is more explicit and more succinct, so I think it's
the better option of the two.

Regards,
James Coleman