Re: set_cheapest without checking pathlist

От James Coleman
Тема Re: set_cheapest without checking pathlist
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 1:36 AM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 11:37 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I don't believe that would happen.  It seems to me that we should, at
>> > the very least, have a path which is Gather on top of the cheapest
>> > partial path (see generate_gather_paths), as long as the
>> > partially_grouped_rel has partial paths.
>>
>> It will have partial paths because it's nested inside "if
>> (partially_grouped_rel && partially_grouped_rel->partial_pathlist)"
>

> Right.  And that leads to the conclusion that gather_grouping_paths will
> always generate at least one path for partially_grouped_rel.  So it
> seems to me that the check added in the patch is not necessary.  But
> maybe we can add an Assert or a comment clarifying that the pathlist of
> partially_grouped_rel cannot be empty here.

Yes, that's true currently. I don't particularly love that we have the
knowledge of that baked in at this level, but it won't break anything
currently.

I'll put this as a patch in the parallelization patch series
referenced earlier since in that series my changes result in
generate_gather_paths() not necessarily always being able to build a
path.

Regards,
James Coleman