Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work?

От James Coleman
Тема Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work?
Дата
Re: Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work?
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

It's possible I'm the only one who's been in this situation, but I've
multiple times found myself explaining to a user how column DEFAULT
expressions work: namely how the quoting on an expression following
the keyword DEFAULT controls whether or not the expression is
evaluated at the time of the DDL statement or at the time of an
insertion.

In my experience this is non-obvious to users, and the quoting makes a
big difference.

Is this something that we should document explicitly? I don't see it
called out in the CREATE TABLE reference page, but it's possible I'm
missing something.

Thanks,
James Coleman

Сообщение: Re: Backporting BackgroundPsql
Сообщение: Re: Backporting BackgroundPsql