Re: Should I implement DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY?

От Daniel Farina
Тема Re: Should I implement DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> wrote:
>>> At Heroku we use CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY with great success, but
>>> recently when frobbing around some indexes I realized that there is no
>>> equivalent for DROP INDEX, and this is a similar but lesser problem
>>> (as CREATE INDEX takes much longer), as DROP INDEX takes an ACCESS
>>> EXCLUSIVE lock on the parent table while doing the work to unlink
>>> files, which nominally one would think to be trivial, but I assure you
>>> it is not at times for even indexes that are a handful of gigabytes
>>> (let's say ~=< a dozen).
>
>> Are you sure that you are really waiting on the time to unlink the
>> file?  there's other stuff going on in there like waiting for lock,
>> plan invalidation, etc.  Point being, maybe the time consuming stuff
>> can't really be deferred which would make the proposal moot.
>
> Assuming the issue really is the physical unlinks (which I agree I'd
> like to see some evidence for), I wonder whether the problem could be
> addressed by moving smgrDoPendingDeletes() to after locks are released,
> instead of before, in CommitTransaction/AbortTransaction.  There does
> not seem to be any strong reason why we have to do that before lock
> release, since incoming potential users of a table should not be trying
> to access the old physical storage after that anyway.

Alright, since this concern about confirming the expensive part of
index dropping has come up a few times but otherwise the waters are
warm, I'll go ahead and do some work to pin things down a bit before
we continue working on those assumptions.

--
fdr