Re: Setting a default value for a select statement without results

От JORGE MALDONADO
Тема Re: Setting a default value for a select statement without results
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
This solution gave me the result I need, but it seems the process takes longer when COALESCE is added.

What do you mean with the comment of "and you are happy with its performance" ?
Does it have to do with performance?

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote:
On 2013-02-06, JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960@gmail.com> wrote:
> --f46d0401fb2fcb805e04d50354b1
>
> I have an UPDATE query with the following general structure:
>
> UPDATE table1 SET (SELECT field FROM table2 WHERE conditions ORDER BY
> order_field LIMIT 1)

assuming you mean this, and you are happy with its performance.

 UPDATE table1 SET field1 = (SELECT field FROM table2 WHERE conditions ORDER BY
 order_field LIMIT 1)

> Is it possible to assign a default value in case no results are returned by
> the SELECT statement?

use coalesce.

 UPDATE table1 SET field1 = coalesce( (SELECT field FROM table2 WHERE conditions ORDER BY
 order_field LIMIT 1) , default_value )

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural