Re: Restrictions for a specific situation in my DB

От JORGE MALDONADO
Тема Re: Restrictions for a specific situation in my DB
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
"You should always CC the list."
I am sorry for that. I will take it into consideration from now on.

"I have never heard of a "restriction" as a technical concept in databases,
so I cannot answer that."
What I meant was "CONSTRAINT". I understand that, in PostgreSQL, I can define "UNIQUE INDEX" and "UNIQUE CONSTRAINT" and that a "UNIQUE CONSTRAINT" creates a "UNIQUE INDEX" behind the scenes.

So my question is:
Can a "UNIQUE CONSTRAINT" be used instead of a "UNIQUE INDEX"?

I searched the web for an answer and found that expressions like LEAST and GREATEST are not allowed in a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT but they can be used in a UNIQUE INDEX. I also tested directly in a table and I could verify it. So, a UNIQUE INDEX is the choice to include LEAST and GREATEST.

With respect,
Jorge Maldonado

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 10:46 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 18:27 -0500, JORGE MALDONADO wrote:

You should always CC the list.

> Does it has to be a UNIQUE INDEX?

If you want to avoid duplicates, yes.

> What about a RESTRICTION? I understand it also creates a UNIQUE INDEX behind the scenes.
> Is a RESTRICTION not supported because of the LEAST and GREATEST expressions?
> If it is, what is a reason to use a UNIQUE INDEX instead of a RESTRICTION?
> I just want to fully understand the concept.

I have never heard of a "restriction" as a technical concept in databases,
so I cannot answer that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
--
+43-670-6056265
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH

Сообщение: Re: Restrictions for a specific situation in my DB
Сообщение: Re: Restrictions for a specific situation in my DB