Re: Select statement with except clause

От JORGE MALDONADO
Тема Re: Select statement with except clause
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Firstly, I want to thank you for responding.
Secondly, I wonder if I should only reply to the mailing list (I clicked Reply All); if this is the case, I apologize for any inconvenience. Please let me know so I reply correctly next time.

I will describe my issue with more detail. I need to perform 2 very similar queries as follows:

*** QUERY 1 ***
SELECT fldA, fldB, fldC, SUM(fldD) AS fldD
FROM tableA
WHERE condition1
GROUP BY fldA, fldB, fldC

*** QUERY 2 ***
SELECT fldA, fldB, fldC, SUM(fldD)*(-1) AS fldD
FROM tableA
WHERE condition2
GROUP BY fldA, fldB, fldC

As you can see, both reference the same table and the same fields.

The differences between the queries are:
a) The last SELECTED field is multiplied by (-1) in the second query.
b) The WHERE conditions.

What I finally need is to exclude records generated by QUERY1 from QUERY2 when fldA, fldB and fldC are equal in both results.

With respect,
Jorge Maldonado

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
JORGE MALDONADO wrote
> How does the EXCEPT work? Do fields should be identical?
> I need the difference to be on the first 3 fields.

Except operates over the entire tuple so yes all fields are evaluated and,
if they all match, the row from the "left/upper" query is excluded.

If you need something different you can use some variation of:
IN
EXISTS
NOT IN
NOT EXISTS

with a sub-query (correlated or uncorrelated as your need dictates).

For example:

SELECT col1, col2, col3, sum(col4)
FROM tbl
WHERE (col1, col2, col3) NOT IN (SELECT col1, col2, col3 FROM tbl2) -- not
correlated
GROUP BY col1, col2, col3

SELECT col1, col2, col3, sum(col4)
FROM tbl
WHERE NOT EXISTS (
  SELECT 1 FROM tbl AS tbl2 WHERE --make sure to alias the sub-query table
if it matches the outer reference
  (tbl.col1, tbl.col2, tbl.col3) = (tbl2.col1, tbl2.col2, tbl2.col3)
) -- correlated; reference "tbl" within the query inside the where clause
GROUP BY col1, col2, col3

I do not follow your example enough to provide a more explicit
example/solution but this should at least help point you in the right
direction.

David J.