Re: Authentication fails for md5 connections if ~/.postgresql/postgresql.{crt and key} exist

От Jacob Champion
Тема Re: Authentication fails for md5 connections if ~/.postgresql/postgresql.{crt and key} exist
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 12:13 PM Cary Huang <cary.huang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> > (Eventually I'd like to teach the server not to ask for a client
> >  certificate if it's not going to use it.)
>
> If clientcert is not requested by the server, but yet the client still
> sends the certificate, the server will still verify it. This is the case
> in this discussion.

I think this is maybe conflating the application-level behavior with
the protocol-level behavior. A client certificate is requested by the
server if ssl_ca_file is set, whether clientcert is set in the HBA or
not. It's this disconnect between the intuitive behavior and the
actual behavior that I'd like to eventually improve.

--Jacob