Re: [GENERAL] Modified rows are not marked as dead and as such vacuumis unable to clean them up

От Tamás András Kálmán
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Modified rows are not marked as dead and as such vacuumis unable to clean them up
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

just cleaned house in my mailbox and found this email that got buried. You were spot on with the prepared transactions, we had some hung Hibernate threads that were acting up.

Sorry for resurrecting this ages old thread, but wanted to say a big fat *THANKS*!

Cheers,
Tamas Kalman.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:25 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Tamás András Kálmán <hello@tamaskalman.com> writes:
> we have a PostgreSQL 9.3.4 database with multiple large tables, that keep
> growing.
> Looking at the pg_stat of  the front runner table that is currently about 1
> Gb  big, it seems, that stale row data is not marked as dead after updates,

Have you checked for uncommitted prepared transactions?
If "select * from pg_prepared_xacts" finds anything, that's
probably your problem.