Re: PostgreSQL protocol 3 JDBC drivers, sub-protocols, and latency

От Stevo Slavić
Тема Re: PostgreSQL protocol 3 JDBC drivers, sub-protocols, and latency
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hello Oliver,

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I'm aware that newer is not that new, I guess it's ever since v3
protocol was introduced, with varying behavior.

Here is the log output from 9.1-901 JDBC 4 driver with v3
frontend/backend protocol for a very simple query and 60ms latency
(simulated in one way only, from db back to db client):

19:59:40.057 (1) simple execute,
handler=org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement$StatementResultHandler@7f72455,
maxRows=0, fetchSize=0, flags=17
19:59:40.057 (1)  FE=> Parse(stmt=null,query="select
nextval('hibernate_sequence')",oids={})
19:59:40.057 (1)  FE=> Bind(stmt=null,portal=null)
19:59:40.057 (1)  FE=> Describe(portal=null)
19:59:40.057 (1)  FE=> Execute(portal=null,limit=0)
19:59:40.057 (1)  FE=> Sync
19:59:40.120 (1)  <=BE ParseComplete [null]
19:59:40.180 (1)  <=BE BindComplete [null]
19:59:40.240 (1)  <=BE RowDescription(1)
19:59:40.300 (1)  <=BE DataRow
19:59:40.300 (1)  <=BE CommandStatus(SELECT 1)
19:59:40.360 (1)  <=BE ReadyForQuery(I)

Maybe simulated latency is serializing things which should be
occurring concurrently. But wouldn't that happen for DataRow and
CommandStatus backend message too?

As soon as I configured protocolVersion=2, I got 5 times better
performance, but another issue popped-up, defaults for parameters seem
to be different in v2 compared to v3, but found a quick workaround.

Regards,
Stevo.