Re: Unexpected behaviour of a RAISE statement in an IMMUTABLE function

От Joel Mukuthu
Тема Re: Unexpected behaviour of a RAISE statement in an IMMUTABLE function
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Thank you for the responses.

This explains the issue quite clearly to me, but I'm still a bit in the dark as to what scenarios I should have in mind when I think of statement side-effects in postgres. Does "side-effects" mean that a statement writes to tables or files? Or what other scenarios should I have in mind? I'm wary of making a similar mistake in future.

In this regard, would it make sense to try and warn users of some possible mistakes in function definitions? I'm aware of discussions such as https://postgrespro.com/list/thread-id/1752462 and I'm not proposing that, but perhaps issuing a warning at compile time if there's an INSERT or RAISE in a non-volatile function. Or would adding some more examples to the docs (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xfunc-volatility.html) suffice?

Best regards,
Joel Mukuthu

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 5:20 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Joel Mukuthu <jom@upright.co> writes:
> CREATE FUNCTION raise_exception_immutable(IN err_message text)
> RETURNS void
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
> IMMUTABLE
> AS $BODY$
> BEGIN
> RAISE EXCEPTION
> USING MESSAGE = err_message;
> END;
> $BODY$;

A function with side-effects (like raising an error) isn't
really immutable [1].  We do fudge that a bit, since hardly
anything could be marked immutable if there were a strict
rule about it --- but when the primary point of the function
is to cause that side-effect, you can't fudge it.

> 4. This raises an exception that was surprising to me:

> SELECT raise_exception_immutable('foo') WHERE false;
> -- ERROR: foo
> -- CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function raise_exception_immutable(text) line 3 at
> RAISE

The allegedly-immutable function is evaluated during constant folding.

> 5. This does not raises an exception, that was also surprising to me:

> SELECT raise_exception_immutable(format('foo')) WHERE false;

format() isn't immutable, only stable; so constant-folding can't
reach the error.

                        regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xfunc-volatility.html

--