Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am strong in opinion so PLpgSQL is targeted primary for implementation
> business logic in server side. CRUD  is only one from possible use cases -
> and without any special importance to others.

Just curious, what kind of business logic do you write, where "one row"
is not more special to you than "two rows" or "five rows"?

Think about for a second what PL functions are able to return.

Compare,
RETURNS RECORD
vs
RETURNS SETOF RECORD

When you return from a function, you get exactly 1 row, unless
you explicitly use the SETOF RECORD syntax, where 0...n rows are possible.

To add to that, we have the STRICT keyword, which also recognize the
fact 1 row is special.

So, we already *have* special handling for the 1 row case in many areas.

I cannot see how you can fail to agree it would be a good thing to
make it simple also for UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT.