Re: PL/pgSQL 2

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I'm just saying it's much less probable you can add new features to
>> plpgsql than to plpgsql2, as you have to take into account the risk of
>> breaking compatibility.
>
> That's just a difference of one release. The release after the set of
> problems is nearly identical.

That's not true. The first release (plpgsql -> plpgsql2) will be a
major release.
After that, we can do minor releases for the following X years, until
we possible need for a new major version.
Each minor release would be guaranteed not to break any backwards compatibility.

plpgsql -> plpgsql2 would be the single giant leap we take into the future.

I think this reasoning is quite compatible with the versioning policy
of the project in general, where we distinguish between major and
minor releases.