Re: [HACKERS] merging some features from plpgsql2 project

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] merging some features from plpgsql2 project
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be a good idea to lock all the people who really care
> about PL/pgsql in a room until they agree on what changes should be
> made for the next version of the language.  If they don't agree
> quickly enough, we can resort to the techniques described in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_election,_1268%E2%80%9371

I think that's a very good idea, and I'm happy to be locked into such a room.

I think such a discussion will be very fruitful,
given the others in the room have also
already decided they want a new language
and are there to discuss "the next version of the language",
instead of debating why they don't think we need a new language.

It would also be good if those people could bring laptops
with all their plpgsql code bases, to check if any of
the proposed possibly non-backwards compatible
syntax proposals would break nothing, just a few functions,
or a lot of functions in their code bases.