Re: [HACKERS] case_preservation_and_insensitivity = on

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] case_preservation_and_insensitivity = on
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 1:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The versions of autocommit that have actually stood the test of time were
> implemented on the client side (in psql and JDBC, and I think ODBC as
> well), where the scope of affected code was lots smaller.  I wonder
> whether there's any hope of providing something useful for case-folding
> in that way.  psql's lexer is already smart enough that you could teach it
> rules like "smash any unquoted identifier to lower case" (probably it
> would fold keywords too, but that seems OK).  That's probably not much
> help for custom applications, which aren't likely to be going through
> psql scripts; but the fact that such behavior is in reach at all on the
> client side seems encouraging.

This sounds like a really good solution to me,
since there is actually nothing missing on the PostgreSQL server-side,
it's merely a matter of inconvenience on the client-side.

As long as the definitions of the database objects when stored
in the git repo can be written without the double-quotes,
i.e. CREATE TABLE Users (
instead of
CREATE TABLE "Users" (

where the object would be created as "Users" with capital "U",
then I see no problem.

Most people probably use psql to initiate a db instance of their
project locally,
so if psql would have a --preserve-case option, that would solve the
problem of creating new objects.
Or maybe --no-case-folding is a better name for the option.