Re: psql backward compatibility

От Stephen Haddock
Тема Re: psql backward compatibility
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for the quick responses!

I'll double-check the configuration. Given your responses it is highly likely that the older version is still running the server and I'm simply running the client in 9.6.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 11:16 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 11/18/20 8:05 AM, Stephen Haddock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When upgrading an older version of postgres, version 8.4 for example, to
> a newer version such as 9.6, does the data have to be migrated immediately?
>
> It looks like the recommended method is to dump the data, upgrade,
> initialize a new cluster, and then restore the dumped data into the
> newer version. My question is whether the data dump and restore must be
> done immediately. It appears that 9.6 is able to run against the older
> cluster (DB service starts, queries work, etc), and the data could be

Hmm, missed that. As David said that should not happen and if you are
running a new binary against an old cluster then you will get corruption.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com