Re: Vacuum ERRORs out considering freezing dead tuples from before OldestXmin

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Vacuum ERRORs out considering freezing dead tuples from before OldestXmin
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 4:42 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 3:36 PM Melanie Plageman
> <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > One thing I don't understand is why it is okay to freeze the xmax of a
> > dead tuple just because it is from an aborted update.
>
> We don't do that with XID-based xmaxs. Though perhaps we should, since
> we'll already prune-away the successor tuple, and so might as well go
> one tiny step further and clear the xmax for the original tuple via
> freezing/setting it InvalidTransactionId. Instead we just leave the
> original tuple largely undisturbed, with its original xmax.

I thought that was the case too, but we call
heap_prepare_freeze_tuple() on HEAPTUPLE_RECENTLY_DEAD tuples and then

    else if (TransactionIdIsNormal(xid))
    {
        /* Raw xmax is normal XID */
        freeze_xmax = TransactionIdPrecedes(xid, cutoffs->OldestXmin);
    }

And then later we

    if (freeze_xmax)
        frz->xmax = InvalidTransactionId;

and then when we execute freezing the tuple in heap_execute_freeze_tuple()

    HeapTupleHeaderSetXmax(tuple, frz->xmax);

Which sets the xmax to InvalidTransactionId. Or am I missing something?

> > The only case in which we freeze dead tuples
> > with a non-multi xmax is if the xmax is from before OldestXmin and is
> > also not committed (so from an aborted update).
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand, but: we simply don't freeze DEAD (not
> RECENTLY_DEAD) tuples in the first place, because we don't have to
> (pruning removes them instead). It doesn't matter if they're DEAD due
> to being from aborted transactions or DEAD due to being
> deleted/updated by a transaction that committed (committed and <
> OldestXmin).

Right, I'm talking about HEAPTUPLE_RECENTLY_DEAD tuples.
HEAPTUPLE_DEAD tuples are pruned away. But we can't replace the xmax
of a tuple that has been deleted or updated by a transaction that
committed with InvalidTransactionId. And it seems like the code does
that? Why even call heap_prepare_freeze_tuple() on
HEAPTUPLE_RECENTLY_DEAD tuples? Is it mainly to handle MultiXact
freezing?

> The freezing related code paths in heapam.c don't particularly care
> whether a tuple xmax is RECENTLY_DEAD or LIVE to HTSV + OldestXmin.
> Just as long as it's not fully DEAD (then it should have been pruned).

But it just seems like we shouldn't freeze RECENTLY_DEAD either.

- Melanie