Re: Eager page freeze criteria clarification

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Eager page freeze criteria clarification
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 3:58 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:24 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 5:12 AM Melanie Plageman
> > <melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The goal is to keep pages frozen for at least target_freeze_duration.
> > > target_freeze_duration is in seconds and pages only have a last
> > > modification LSN, so target_freeze_duration must be converted to LSNs.
> > > To accomplish this, I've added an LSNTimeline data structure, containing
> > > XLogRecPtr, TimestampTz pairs stored with decreasing precision as they
> > > age. When we need to translate the guc value to LSNs, we linearly
> > > interpolate it on this timeline. For the time being, the global
> > > LSNTimeline is in PgStat_WalStats and is only updated by vacuum. There
> > > is no reason it can't be updated with some other cadence and/or by some
> > > other process (nothing about it is inherently tied to vacuum). The
> > > cached translated value of target_freeze_duration is stored in each
> > > table's stats. This is arbitrary as it is not a table-level stat.
> > > However, it needs to be located somewhere that is accessible on
> > > update/delete. We may want to recalculate it more often than once per
> > > table vacuum, especially in case of long-running vacuums.
> >
> > This part sounds like it isn't quite baked yet. The idea of the data
> > structure seems fine, but updating it once per vacuum sounds fairly
> > unprincipled to me? Don't we want the updates to happen on a somewhat
> > regular wall clock cadence?
>
> Yes, this part was not fully baked. I actually discussed this with
> Andres at PGConf EU last week and he suggested that background writer
> update the LSNTimeline. He also suggested I propose the LSNTimeline in
> a new thread. I could add a pageinspect function returning the
> estimated time of last page modification given the page LSN (so it is
> proposed with a user).

I've rebased this over top of the revised LSNTimeline functionality
proposed separately in [1].
It is also registered for the current commitfest.

I plan to add the decay logic and benchmark it this week.

- Melanie

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAKRu_Z7tR7D1=DR=xWQDefYk_nu_gxgW88X0HtxN6AsK-8_gA@mail.gmail.com

Вложения