Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 5:59 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> BTW when you say "up to 'Make table_scan_bitmap_next_block() async
> friendly'" do you mean including that patch, or that this is the first
> patch that is not one of the independently useful patches.

I think the code is easier to understand with "Make
table_scan_bitmap_next_block() async friendly". Prior to that commit,
table_scan_bitmap_next_block() could return false even when the bitmap
has more blocks and expects the caller to handle this and invoke it
again. I think that interface is very confusing. The downside of the
code in that state is that the code for prefetching is still in the
BitmapHeapNext() code and the code for getting the current block is in
the heap AM-specific code. I took a stab at fixing this in v9's 0013,
but the outcome wasn't very attractive.

What I will do tomorrow is reorder and group the commits such that all
of the commits that are useful independent of streaming read are first
(I think 0014 and 0015 are independently valuable but they are on top
of some things that are only useful to streaming read because they are
more recently requested changes). I think I can actually do a bit of
simplification in terms of how many commits there are and what is in
each. Just to be clear, v9 is still reviewable. I am just going to go
back and change what is included in each commit.

> (I took a quick look at the first couple patches and I appreciate that
> you keep separate patches with small cosmetic changes to keep the actual
> patch smaller and easier to understand.)

Thanks!