Re: Extracting only the columns needed for a query

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: Extracting only the columns needed for a query
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 12:09 PM Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I've also noticed that for partitioned tables every partition is
>  evaluated separately. IIRC they structure cannot differ, does it
>  makes sense then?

Good point. At some point, we had discussed only collecting the columns
for one of the child partitions and then using that for all partitions.

It is definitely worthwhile to try that optimization.

Another interesting
example is Values Scan (e.g. in an insert statements with multiple
records), can an abstract table AM user leverage information about
columns in it?

For ValuesScan, I can't see a use case yet for including those in
scanCols, since it is not required to scan the existing columns in the
table, but I am open to a use case.

One case, where I believe columns were missing, is statements with
returning:

    INSERT INTO foo (col1)
      VALUES ('col1'), ('col2'), ('col3')
      RETURNING *;

Looks like in this situation there is only expression in reltarget is
for col1, but returning result contains all columns.

So, you are correct, for INSERT and DELETE queries with RETURNING, the
scanCols should only include columns needed to INSERT or DELETE data.

For DELETE RETURNING, the RETURNING expression is executed separately in
ExecDelete, so scanCols should basically reflect only what needs to be
scanned to evaluate the qual.

For INSERT RETURNING, the scanCols should only reflect those columns
needing to be scanned to perform the INSERT.

There are several reasons why different kinds of RETURNING queries have
too many scanCols. Soumyadeep and I did some investigation into this.

Given:
t1(a, b)
t2(a, b, c)

For:
INSERT INTO t1(a) VALUES (1) RETURNING *;

There is no need to scan t1(a) in order to satisfy the RETURNING
expression here. Because this INSERT doesn't go through make_one_rel(),
scanCols shouldn't be populated.

For:
INSERT INTO t2 SELECT a,a,a FROM t1 RETURNING *;

For this INSERT, the patch correctly identifies that no columns from t2
need be scanned and only t1(a) needs be scanned.

For:
DELETE FROM t1 WHERE a = 2 RETURNING *;

scanCols correctly has only t1(a) which is needed to evaluate the qual.

For:
DELETE FROM t1 USING t2 where a = a RETURNING *;

scanCols should have t1(a) and t2(a), however, it has t1(a) and t2(a,b,c).

This is because in preprocess_targetlist(), all of the returningList
vars from t2 are added to the query tree processed_tlist to make sure
the RETURNING expression can be evaluated later.

However, the query tree processed_tlist items for each rel seem to be
added to the RelOptInfo for t2 later, so, in extract_scan_columns(), we
mistakenly add these to the scanCols.

This is tricky to change because we don't want to change what gets added
to the RelOptInfo->reltarget->exprs (I think), so, we'd need some way to
know which columns are from the RETURNING expression, which are from the
qual, etc. And, we'd need to know the query was a DELETE (since an
UPDATE would need all the columns anyway with the current API, for
example). This is pretty different than the current logic in
extract_scan_cols().

A separate issue with DELETE USING RETURNING queries scanCols arises
with partition tables.

Given this additional table:
t(a, b, c) partition table with partitions
tp1(a, b, c) and
tp2(a, b, c)

the same query above with different relations
DELETE FROM t USING t1 WHERE a = a RETURNING *;

scanCols will say it requires t(a,b,c) and t1(a,b) (all of the columns
in both relations).
t1 columns are wrong for the same reason as in the non-partition example
query described above.

However, the partition table scanCols are wrong for a related but
different reason. This, however, is much more easily fixed. The same
code in to add returningList to processed_tlist for a querytree in
preprocess_targetlist() doesn't handle the case of an inherited table or
partition child (since their result_relation is set to imitate a SELECT
instead of an UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT). I started a different thread on
this topic [1].

Lastly is UPDATE...RETURNING queries.
UPDATE queries will require scan of all of the columns with the current
tuple_table_lock() API (mentioned upthread).

And just out of curiosity, what do you think about table AM specific
columns e.g. ctid, xmin/xmax etc? I mean, they're not included into
scanCols and should not be since they're heap AM related. But is there a
chance that there would be some AM specific columns relevant to e.g.
the columnar storage that would also make sense to put into scanCols?

Maybe tid? But, I'm not sure. What do you think?