Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests

От Amul Sul
Тема Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 9:43 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
Hi all,

I don't remember how many times in the last few years when I've had to
hack the backend to produce a test case that involves a weird race
condition across multiple processes running in the backend, to be able
to prove a point or just test a fix (one recent case: 2b8e5273e949).
Usually, I come to hardcoding stuff for the following situations:
- Trigger a PANIC, to force recovery.
- A FATAL, to take down a session, or just an ERROR.
- palloc() failure injection.
- Sleep to slow down a code path.
- Pause and release with condition variable.

+1 for the feature.

TWIMW, here[1] is an interesting talk from pgconf.in 2020 on the similar topic.

Regards,
Amul Sul