Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От John McKown
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Vincent de Phily <vincent.dephily@mobile-devices.fr> wrote:
On Wednesday 26 August 2015 10:27:04 Gavin Flower wrote:
> Actually I would suggest standardising on singular names, not JUST
> because that this the standard I prefer!  :-)
>
> But (also) because:
>
>  1. Singular words tend to be shorter
>
>  2. plurals are more ambiguous wrt spelling
>
>  3. there other good reasons, that I've forgotten for now :-(
>     (but I remember having them!!!)

Oh, so you name your tables 'fish' and 'crow' instead of 'school' and
'murder' ? Such wasted opportunities :p

​OTOH, either is better than some insane DBA who calls them "TableOf????" (camel case in quotes to preserve case)​ to be "self documenting and easy to read" (Likely a COBOL programmer in a former life). Oh, and then "to make it simple", all the SQL uses the AS to "alias" the table name to a single alphabetic character in [a-z].

--
Vincent de Phily

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices