Re: Postgres and LibreOffice's 'Base'

От John McKown
Тема Re: Postgres and LibreOffice's 'Base'
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
   I have postgres tables (with data) for a specific application but have
not found the time to learn django to make it an application that my clients
can use. It occurs to me that the most parsimonious approach is to use
LibreOffice's Base for the UI with postgres as the dbms-engine. While I work
in only linux (and unixODBC is installed), my clients all use various
flavors of Windows, but the three critical software applications (LO,
PostgreSQL, and ODBC) are available for Microsoft, too.

   I've scanned the Base portion of the LO User Guide and it looks to be a
practical solution to quickly providing clients with working database
applications.

   As this is completely new territory for me I'd like is to learn from
those who've done this before. As examples, What can/should I do as stored
procedures using PL/pgSQL? Can queries be created and tested using psql
before being imported into Base?

   All tips and gotcha's for a new user are certainly welcome.

TIA,

Rich

​I'm not really sure what ".. make it an application that my clients can use. ..." really means. I guess it means that you have some code for an application (which uses PostgreSQL as it's data repository), but it is difficult for many of your users to use easily. I also don't know how much effort you want to put into this. Would using C++ be acceptable? If so, then perhaps you should look at QT from TrollTech. This started out as a cross platform (UNIX, Windows, MAC) windowing system which has really grown. https://www.qt.io/ is a nice site where you can get started. But you would need a commercial license if your software is not licensed as "open source".

A possible alternative to QT is GTK+ (https://www.gtk.org/)​. It is both GPL & LGPL licensed, so you can freely use it in commercial software.

Sorry if I went off into left field on this.

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown