Re: SELECT, GROUP BY, and aggregates

От John McKown
Тема Re: SELECT, GROUP BY, and aggregates
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I will take a bit of a contrarian position from the OP. I, personally, prefer that computer _languages_ do exactly and only what _I_ tell them to do. I do _NOT_ want them to things for me. IMO, that is why many programs are unreliable. They make an assumption which is not what the original programmer really wanted. Of course, I _do_ like having an good IDE which will help me with suggestions which are based on what I have already typed in and what else is possible. In the OP's case, that would be something which would look at the SQL I have already typed in, and have a "highlighted" set of column names in the GROUP BY based on the names in the SELECT. This would complicate the editor, but (again in my opinion) this is where the help should be available. Basically, I want the _application_ programmer to be responsible for the SELECT, not the SQL engine programmer.