pgAdmin and AWS Redshift Connection problems

От Justin Yan
Тема pgAdmin and AWS Redshift Connection problems
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hello!

AWS Redshift, while proprietary, allows one to connect through any client that utilizes Postgres 8.0 drivers.  Approximately a week ago, I tested connecting to a Redshift cluster through pgAdmin v1.12.3 [for postgres 8.0] on Ubuntu through the master user which AWS provides, which has superuser privileges.  So:

host = hostname which AWS provides
maintenance db = default db name
user = aws superuser
pw = my pw
port = 5439 [the port redshift uses]

And about a week ago, this all worked.  I was able to run queries, see the results, the whole shebang.  As of a few days ago, however, pgAdmin stopped working.  I would use the exact some information to connect, and it would appear to be connected.  However, there would be no databases [it said databases(0)], and when I tried to expand the databases in the explorer, I would get the error "ERROR: must be superuser to examine default_tablespace".  I thought, okay, that's strange, so I tried using psql from the command line on Ubuntu:

$ psql -h hostname -d dbname -p 5439 -U superuser

and I was able to get in, run queries, create tables, all that nice stuff.  What I couldn't do was run the command SHOW default_tablespace; - that returned the error:

ERROR:  must be superuser to examine "default_tablespace"

I found it slightly weird, because if you run the \du command, it says:

Role name |      Attributes      | Member of
myuser    | Superuser, Create DB |

After asking around, it was chalked up to AWS tweaking the internal workings to prevent users from doing certain things, so I don't think there's anything pgAdmin can necessarily do about that.  What I am curious about, however:

is it possible to get around this in pgAdmin?  Why is it I can query the databases in psql, but not pgAdmin, and is it something that can be worked around in pgAdmin?

Thanks for your help!

Justin