Re: pg_basebackup wish list

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pg_basebackup wish list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I failed to parse his proposal. It's helpful if you elaborate it.

As per mail [1], it seems the proposal is not to use .tar for -Z 0.
Now here actually we are on the fence, one can argue that if user
doesn't want compression, he or she can use -F p (plain format).
OTOH, without compression getting the backup as a single .tar file
makes it simple to manage.  I think there is some value in providing
.tar for -Z 0, however in that case how should we define usage of -F p
-Z 0?  Shall we say with plain format -Z 0 gets ignored or throw error
or do something else?  If first, then I think it is better to mention
the same in docs.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU%3D1zzj0et2x9fCqxMGJ6XP-FtMSUwtNQGwF01698FRWQ6uA%40mail.gmail.com
--
With Regards,