Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
> <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can we check the number of free bgworkers slots to set the max workers?
>
> The real solution here is that this patch can't throw an error if it's
> unable to obtain the desired number of background workers.  It needs
> to be able to smoothly degrade to a smaller number of background
> workers, or none at all.

I think handling this way can have one side effect which is that if
we degrade to smaller number, then the cost of plan (which was
decided by optimizer based on number of parallel workers) could
be more than non-parallel scan.
Ideally before finalizing the parallel plan we should reserve the
bgworkers required to execute that plan, but I think as of now
we can workout a solution without it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.