Re: CDC/ETL system on top of logical replication with pgoutput, custom client

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: CDC/ETL system on top of logical replication with pgoutput, custom client
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 3:06 PM José Neves <rafaneves3@msn.com> wrote:

> Hi there, hope to find you well.
>
> I'm attempting to develop a CDC on top of Postgres, currently using 12, the last minor, with a custom client, and I'm
runninginto issues with data loss caused by out-of-order logical replication messages.

> The problem is as follows: postgres streams A, B, D, G, K, I, P logical replication events, upon exit signal we stop
consumingnew events at LSN K, and we wait 30s for out-of-order events. Let's say that we only got A, (and K ofc) so in
thefollowing 30s, we get B, D, however, for whatever reason, G never arrived. As with pgoutput-based logical
replicationwe have no way to calculate the next LSN, we have no idea that G was missing, so we assumed that it all
arrived,committing K to postgres slot and shutdown. In the next run, our worker will start receiving data from K
forward,and G is lost forever...
> Meanwhile postgres moves forward with archiving and we can't go back to check if we lost anything. And even if we
could,would be extremely inefficient.

> In sum, the issue comes from the fact that postgres will stream events with unordered LSNs on high transactional
systems,and that pgoutput doesn't have access to enough information to calculate the next or last LSN, so we have no
wayto check if we receive all the data that we are supposed to receive, risking committing an offset that we shouldn't
aswe didn't receive yet preceding data.

As per my understanding, we stream the data in the commit LSN order
and for a particular transaction, all the changes are per their LSN
order. Now, it is possible that for a parallel transaction, we send
some changes from a prior LSN after sending the commit of another
transaction. Say we have changes as follows:

T-1
change1 LSN1-1000
change2 LSN2- 2000
commit   LSN3- 3000

T-2
change1 LSN1-500
change2 LSN2-1500
commit   LSN3-4000

In such a case, all the changes including the commit of T-1 are sent
and then all the changes including the commit of T-2 are sent. So, one
can say that some of the changes from T-2 from prior LSN arrived after
T-1's commit but that shouldn't be a problem because if restart
happens after we received partial T-2, we should receive the entire
T-2.

It is possible that you are seeing something else but if so then
please try to share a more concrete example.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field
От: Julien Rouhaud
Сообщение: Re: Improve join_search_one_level readibilty (one line change)