Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:30 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> čt 6. 12. 2018 v 7:55 odesílatel Mithun Cy <mithun.cy@enterprisedb.com> napsal:

alsodid some tests with insert statement where I could see some regression in zheap when compared to heap with respect
toexecution time. With further more investigation I will reply here.

>> > I think it is because of smaller zheap tuple sizes.  Mithun can tell
>> > more about setup whether he has used different fillfactor or anything
>> > else which could lead to such a big difference.
>>
>> Yes default fillfactor is unaltered, zheap tuples sizes are less and
>> alinged each at 2 Bytes
>>

> I am sorry, I know zero about zheap - does zheap use fill factor? if yes, why?

Good question.  It is required because tuples can expand (Update tuple
to bigger length).  In such cases, we try to perform in-place update
if there is a space in the page.  So, having fillfactor can help.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.