Re: [HACKERS] Request more documentation for incompatibility ofparallelism and plpgsql exec_run_select

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Request more documentation for incompatibility ofparallelism and plpgsql exec_run_select
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 30 June 2017 at 05:14, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is explained in section 15.2 [1], refer below para:
>> "The query might be suspended during execution. In any situation in
>> which the system thinks that partial or incremental execution might
>> occur, no parallel plan is generated. For example, a cursor created
>> using DECLARE CURSOR will never use a parallel plan. Similarly, a
>> PL/pgSQL loop of the form FOR x IN query LOOP .. END LOOP will never
>> use a parallel plan, because the parallel query system is unable to
>> verify that the code in the loop is safe to execute while parallel
>> query is active."
>
> Can you explain "unable to verify that the code in the loop is safe to
> execute while parallel query is active". Surely we aren't pushing code
> in the loop into the actual query, so the safety of command in the FOR
> loop has nothing to do with the parallel safety of the query.
>
> Please give an example of something that would be unsafe? Is that
> documented anywhere, README etc?
>
> FOR x IN query LOOP .. END LOOP
> seems like a case that would be just fine, since we're going to loop
> thru every row or break early.

It is not fine because we don't support partial execution support.  In
above case, if the loop breaks, we can't break parallel query
execution.  Now, I don't think it will impossible to support the same,
but as of now, parallel subsystem doesn't have such a support.

> Surely NO SCROLL and WITH HOLD cursors would work fine?

No, as of now they are not supported due to same reason (partial execution).

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.