Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 3:59 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 5:22 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Also, what if the changes file size overflows "OS file size limit"?
> > If we agree that the above are problems then do you think we should
> > explore using BufFile interface (see storage/file/buffile.c) to avoid
> > all such problems?
>
> I also think that the file size is a problem.  I think we can use
> BufFile with some modifications.  We can not use the
> BufFileCreateTemp, because of few reasons
> 1) files get deleted on close, but we have to open/close on every
> stream start/stop.
> 2) even if we try to avoid closing we need to the BufFile pointers
> (which take 8192k per file) because there is no option to pass the
> file name.
>
> I thin for our use case BufFileCreateShared is more suitable.  I think
> we need to do some modifications so that we can use these apps without
> SharedFileSet. Otherwise, we need to unnecessarily need to create
> SharedFileSet for each transaction and also need to maintain it in xid
> array or xid hash until transaction commit/abort.  So I suggest
> following modifications in shared files set so that we can
> conveniently use it.
> 1. ChooseTablespace(const SharedFileSet fileset, const char name)
>   if fileset is NULL then select the DEFAULTTABLESPACEOID
> 2. SharedFileSetPath(char path, SharedFileSet fileset, Oid tablespace)
> If fileset is NULL then in directory path we can use MyProcPID or
> something instead of fileset->creator_pid.

Hmm, I find these modifications a bit ad-hoc.  So, not sure if it is
better than the patch maintains sharedfileset information.

> 3. Pass some parameter to BufFileOpenShared, so that it can open the
> file in RW mode instead of read-only mode.

This seems okay.

> > 2.
> > apply_handle_stream_abort()
> > {
> > ..
> > + /* discard the subxacts added later */
> > + nsubxacts = subidx;
> > +
> > + /* write the updated subxact list */
> > + subxact_info_write(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid, xid);
> > ..
> > }
> >
> > Here, if subxacts becomes zero, then also subxact_info_write will
> > create a new file and write checksum.
>
> How, will it create the new file, in fact it will write nsubxacts as 0
> in the existing file, and I think we need to do that right so that in
> next open we will know that the nsubxact is 0.
>
>   I think subxact_info_write
> > should have a check for nsubxacts > 0 before writing to the file.
>
> But, even if nsubxacts become 0 we want to write the file so that we
> can overwrite the previous info.

Can't we just remove the file for such a case?

apply_handle_stream_abort()
{
..
+ /* XXX optimize the search by bsearch on sorted data */
+ for (i = nsubxacts; i > 0; i--)
+ {
+ if (subxacts[i - 1].xid == subxid)
+ {
+ subidx = (i - 1);
+ found = true;
+ break;
+ }
+ }
+
+ /*
+ * If it's an empty sub-transaction then we will not find the subxid
+ * here so just free the memory and return.
+ */
+ if (!found)
+ {
+ /* Free the subxacts memory */
+ if (subxacts)
+ pfree(subxacts);
+
+ subxacts = NULL;
+ subxact_last = InvalidTransactionId;
+ nsubxacts = 0;
+ nsubxacts_max = 0;
+
+ return;
+ }
..
}

I have one question regarding the above code.  Isn't it possible that
a particular subtransaction id doesn't have any change but others do
we have?  For ex. cases like below:

postgres=# begin;
BEGIN
postgres=*# insert into t1 values(1);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=*# savepoint s1;
SAVEPOINT
postgres=*# savepoint s2;
SAVEPOINT
postgres=*# insert into t1 values(2);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=*# insert into t1 values(3);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=*# Rollback to savepoint s1;
ROLLBACK
postgres=*# commit;

Here, we have performed Rolledback to savepoint s1 which doesn't have
any change of its own.  I think this would have handled but just
wanted to confirm.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.