Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I wonder if the port number wouldn't be a better choice.  And that
>>> could even be done without adding a parameter.
>
>> We need this for register of event source which might be done before
>> start of server.
>
> So?  Anything which can know the value of a GUC parameter can certainly
> know the selected port number.

1. In case of registration of event source, either user has to pass the name   or it uses hard coded default value, so
ifwe use version number along with   'PostgreSQL', it can be consistent.   I don't see any way pgevent.c can know port
numberto append it to default   value, am I missing something here?

2. In pg_ctl if we use port number, then if user changes it across multiple   server restarts, then it can also create
aproblem, as the event source   name used will be different than what the name used during registration   of event
source.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.