Re: Parallel vacuum workers prevent the oldest xmin from advancing

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Parallel vacuum workers prevent the oldest xmin from advancing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 6:44 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2021-Nov-11, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> > > Fair point. I think that will also make the change in
> > > ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin() appear neat.
> >
> > This makes me think that it'd be better to copy status flags in a
> > separate function rather than ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin().
>
> To me, and this is perhaps just personal opinion, it seems conceptually
> simpler to have ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin acquire exclusive and do
> both things.  Why?  Because if you have two functions, you have to be
> careful not to call the new function after ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin;
> otherwise you would create an instant during which you make an
> Xmin-without-flag visible to other procs; this causes the computed xmin
> go backwards, which is verboten.
>
> If I understand Amit correctly, his point is about the callers of
> RestoreTransactionSnapshot, which are two: CreateReplicationSlot and
> ParallelWorkerMain.  He wants you hypothetical new function called from
> the latter but not the former.  Looking at both, it seems a bit strange
> to make them responsible for a detail such as "copy ->statusFlags from
> source proc to mine".  It seems more reasonable to add a third flag to
>   RestoreTransactionSnapshot(Snapshot snapshot, void *source_proc, bool is_vacuum)
> and if that is true, tell SetTransactionSnapshot to copy flags,
> otherwise not.

If we decide to go this way then I suggest adding a comment to convey
why we choose to copy status flags in ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin()
as the function name doesn't indicate it.

> ... unrelated to this, and looking at CreateReplicationSlot, I wonder
> why does it pass MyProc as the source_pgproc parameter.  What good is
> that doing?  I mean, if the only thing we do with source_pgproc is to
> copy stuff from source_pgproc to MyProc, then if source_pgproc is
> MyProc, we're effectively doing nothing at all.  (You can't "fix" this
> by merely passing NULL, because what that would do is change the calling
> of ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin into a call of
> ProcArrayInstallImportedXmin and that would presumably have different
> behavior.)  I may be misreading the code of course, but it sounds like
> the intention of CreateReplicationSlot is to "do nothing" with the
> transaction snapshot in a complicated way.

It ensures that the source transaction is still running, otherwise, it
won't allow the import to be successful. It also seems to help by
updating the state for GlobalVis* stuff. I think in the current form
it seems to help in not moving MyProc-xmin and TransactionXmin
backward due to checks in ProcArrayInstallRestoredXmin() and also
change them to the value in source snapshot.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.