От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 10:41 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 3:58 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can we think of using GetStandbyFlushRecPtr()? We probably need to
> > expose this function, if this works for the required purpose.
>
> GetStandbyFlushRecPtr() seems good. But do we really want to raise an
> ERROR in this case? IIUC this case could happen often when the slot
> used by the standby is not listed in standby_slot_names.

or it can be due to some bug in the code as well.

> I think we
> can just skip such a slot to synchronize and check it the next time.

How about logging the message and then skipping the sync step? This
will at least make users aware that they could be missing to set
standby_slot_names.

> Here are random comments on slotsyncworker.c (v66):
>
> +/* GUC variable */
> +bool       enable_syncslot = false;
>
> Is enable_syncslot a really good name? We use "enable" prefix only for
> planner parameters such as enable_seqscan, and it seems to me that
> "slot" is not specific. Other candidates are:
>
> * synchronize_replication_slots = on|off
> * synchronize_failover_slots = on|off

I would prefer the second one. Would it be better to just say
sync_failover_slots?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.