Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:44 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 3:17 PM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
> <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 11:27 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> > >
> > > +1. I think it doesn't make sense to replicate temporary tables.
> > > Similarly, we don't need to replicate the unlogged tables.
> >
> > I agree that we don’t need to replicate temporary tables.
> >
> > For unlogged table, one thing I noticed is that we always replicate the
> > DDL action on unlogged table in streaming replication. So, to be
> > consistent, maybe we need to generate WAL for DDL on unlogged table as
> > well ?
> >

> We don't seem to WAL log the main fork, so that shouldn't be created
> in physical replication whereas in your case it will create the main
> fork unless you are doing some special handling for subscribers/apply
> worker. We are also not allowed to read the unlogged tables on standby
> whereas after logical replication users will be allowed to operate on
> them. I think because we need to insert catalog entries for 'create
> unlogged table' which can't be selectively logged, it gets replicated
> to a physical stand by but I don't see why we need to behave similarly
> for logical replication. Can you think of some reason why we need to
> be consistent here or in other words why we should replicate DDL for
> unlogged tables in logical replication?

If we don't replicate the unlogged table DDL 'Create Unlogged Table
...', then later if the user changes the table to logged 'Alter Table
... Set Logged' then we need to do some special hacking to create the
table. So, I think we should replicate 'Create Unlogged Table ...'
DDL.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.